Friday, July 30, 2010

BROOKLYN BAGEL

286 8th ave//btwn 24th & 25th street

this morning i was leaving my OLD FRIEND, marie's apartment in astoria, off to my make that invisible, intangible hard earned dough that us interns in the work force make. speaking of dough, i approached brooklyn bagel to my right on 30th ave and was ever so tempted to bust through it's doors, but my internship awaits. so like a good commuter, i put up my blinders and headed for the subway, although i wasn't quite sure i was even headed in the right direction. ever since marie moved to astoria, i have unintentionally taken the liberty of researching her new stomping grounds for her and conveniently get completely lost anytime i enter the perimeters of the neighborhood. what a pal. so i make my way up the subway stairs right as the N pulls in (the gods of travel were throwing me a bone.) walking down 8th ave, i find myself punching in the letters B-R-O-O-K-L-Y-N (space) B-A-G-E-L. sometimes my fingers have a mind of their own but i like the way they think. perfect! 24th street and 8th ave. just 5 blocks down from my location and 2 blocks out of my way from my final destination. i guess my feet have a mind of their own as well, because before entering bagel heaven, i found myself signing my receipt for 2 iced chai lattes from brown cup (8th ave btwn 27th and 26th, go there) one for me and one for my fellow intern. 3 blocks later i am introduced to the pearly white gates of the bagel kingdom. still keeping in mind that i am in a time crunch i order my default bagel, sesame, and choose to not get it toasted (when i go back later today, i have all the time in the world to roast that baby.) staying true to my vegan pledge, i go with the plain tofu cream cheese, although i was a little hesitant about the sound of it. i hightail it out of there after paying myself some dough, where we will meet again at my desk. the second i dove in, i knew i will never look at a bagel the same. yes, new york has the best bagels, but as of right now i have found it's number one. it was like going to the best italian restaurant you know that serves the perfect pre-dinner bread and then perfected bagels with the same recipe. and the cream cheese, i can't even explain... but 'll try because thats what i do. it was as if it was injected with fluffy white clouds and then whipped up by angels. it is 7 and a half hours since i had this experience of divinity, and now the clock ticks with torture as i await the striking of 5 o'clock, the hour most people refer to as "happy hour," especially on a friday, but i'm not normal,this is now crowned as my "bagel hour." although that certainly doesn't mean it can't get washed down with some happiness afterwards. ☮ carly

No comments:

Post a Comment